Sunday, September 6, 2009

Rain and home work

Here comes the rain again...
Rain puddled onto the bottom of a metal bucket I plan to use as a planter.
We have had a little dose of fall with a cool 59 degrees and hard rain last night and today. Makes me want to curl up with a bowl of soup and watch some cool old movie. But I can't. I've got fours stories to write. Maybe later on the soup and movie.
I enjoy working from home. It is something I have wanted to do for years, and prayed that someday I would be able to do it. I have freedom to work in my pajamas if I want to, and I can go to my refrigerator whenever I want. I control the temperature here. I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to leave work because the office was soooooo cold. 
Karen and I have had conversations about this. We've both admitted to spending some time with our hands under the hot water faucet in the bathroom just to get warm. I shocked co-workers at one office because I actively sought out the maintenance guy to remedy the problem. I was shivering, and they were also cold but looked at me like I was crazy when I placed the call. I believe I left early that day because nothing was done about the temperature.
There are other positive things about working from home. If my child is sick I don't have to get permission from anyone to take off from work, and if I need to write a story at midnight, I can do that. It makes so much more sense to me to work this way. I believe I am more productive working from home. 
Working from home has made homeschooling Sean possible, and for that I am so thankful.
The only drawback, and I wouldn't even go so far as to say negative, is that I never feel like I'm "off from work." Work is always right here. I don't get a lot of down time from it, and it is always on my mind. 
But I try to think of it as a hobby that I get paid to do. I enjoy my work, and try to grab moments here and there to think of something else. Like when we go to the beach, or I take Sean to a museum.
Life is Good. I'm enjoying the ride.

2 comments:

Karen said...

There is no excuse for such coldness in this world. Well, I suppose there are, really, but I just wanted to type that. Have you seen the commercial with the employee sitting under the hand air dryer in the restroom? Hilarious. And brilliant. LOL!

Marsha said...

I haven't seen that commercial, but that IS brilliant. I've done that at restaurants before. Not sit under it, but stood and just let it blow so I could warm up.