Monday, May 9, 2011

Guns, Fish and Mother's Day

I had no real expectations for Mother's Day. It has never been a really big day for me. Years past I always got a nice card from each of my kids, usually handmade at school or church. I've kept them all, and they are so special to me.

But when it comes to a big day of doting and pampering on Mother's Day, it's not really me.
So leading up to Mother's Day Chuck was asking what I'd like to do. I had no real preference.

Saturday we spent the day at the Livable Community Fair. I worked the newspaper booth and Chuck worked a couple of booths, including the fire department. Both kids hung out with us there and had a fun time. There were activities to keep Sean busy, like the trout pond, and the touch a truck event.
His favorite was the military area where there were trucks and a couple of sniper guns and camo the kids could explore.
I went looking for Sean and found him here.
I recognized his shoes.
There were big trucks from the electric company and a tow truck that was enormous. Of course the fire trucks were there, and the military had a large repair unit. I didn't get the skinny on that, but heard others talking about it.
Sean caught a few fish, but threw them back. Lilly caught one and gave hers away.
The trout pond is always a big hit with the kids. 
We had a fun day there, even though Chuck and I were both sort of working. After the fair we had dinner together and watched a movie.

Mother's Day was great. I came back from church and was greeted by happy children and a wonderful man who had somehow taken them shopping for gifts. Maybe they went shopping while I was at church, because I can't figure out when he could have taken them without me.
(Chuck told me to just leave Sean with him and he'd bring him to church after he studied for his class.)
Sean chose a nice garden decoration of a dragonfly (one of my favorites), and Lily got me earrings that match the necklace Chuck gave me for Christmas.

The four of us had lunch at El Sombrero. Sean was being difficult because he didn't want to eat Mexican, and Chuck was so wonderful with him. He totally understands him and knows how to handle him. Though Sean said he didn't want to eat, and didn't want a drink, Chuck ordered for him anyway and said "just in case you get hungry or thirsty." We allowed him to have his moment, and Chuck explained there are four of us now and there will be times when not all of us are happy, but we will all have a turn at getting what we want. 

Sean sat under the table and we didn't react. We ignored it and eventually he reached for his plate and took it under the table. Then he got tired of eating alone and came back up and sat with us and ate his burger. We didn't react or mention it, and he blended right in with us.

This gentle way of doing things is opposite of the way I parented Dave and Jewel, but it totally works with Sean. The tools I used with them don't work with Sean. He is not a child I can force, and I appreciate that Chuck sees that and knows just what to do with him.

After lunch we spent a little more time together before Chuck had to take Lily back to her mom's.
Fathers are a big part of making Mother's Day special. I really appreciated that Chuck took Sean to shop, although it wasn't necessary. I would have been just as happy with a rock or leaf or some weed from the yard. The fact that Lily got me a gift was very touching. 
Jewel and Dave called in the afternoon and evening, and I feel so blessed to be a mother. It was a wonderful Mother's Day. 

No comments: