Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sean's Jack-o-Lantern


We went to the poor man's pumpkin patch yesterday. The big cardboard bins at Fred Meyer.
Oh, I've made that Be a Good Mom syndrome trip to the cute pumpkin patch and paid an outrageous price. One year I think I spent close to $40-some on a couple of pumpkins and a carving tool set which promptly bent and broke after about a minute of cutting into the pumpkin.
Right.
Sean carefully chose a pumpkin from the three bins, we paid our $3 and brought our new friend home. When we were ready, he drew the design he wanted. I transfered it to the pumpkin and we got to work.
I believe I have carved a pumpkin with my kids for about 18 or so years. Some years we had more than one because the elongated shape lent itself to ghostly faces, and the squat ones more of the traditional creepy snaggle toothed types.
It is pouring rain as I write this. Predicted weather for Halloween? You got it, pouring rain. So I think we will choose an inside gig.
We usually have a huge decoration in the yard that I got on super sale at Big Lots a few years ago. We call it "The Great Pumpkin," and it rises in our front yard. It's one of those popular ones you plug in that fills with air. Not sure he'll make it to our yard this year with all the rain.
But this little guy will be on our porch and we'll attempt to keep him glowing.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Cute pumpkin! Great job, Sean! I am with you--I am not one to pay $15 for a pumpkin I can get for $5 at the grocery store. But I think you know that about me already. I will pay extra, though, if it's for church or charity. We can't really sit a pumpkin outside around here, though, so no carved pumpkins for us. I just buy the little Kate-sized $1-$2 pumpkins. hahaha Actually, I think one we bought in TN was only about 50 cents. :o) Happy Halloweeeeeeeeeeen!