Tuesday, July 3, 2012

One of mom's tricks

There are so many moments when I wish I could call my mom and ask her a question. Sometimes I just need to know what she would think of a situation. We made jelly last fall and some of the batches didn't set. I was wishing I could call her and ask what she would recommend. She taught me so many things, and probably most of them without me even knowing she was teaching.

Each time I use something that was hers that is a useful item I always say a little thank you to her. She was so great at spotting little things for the kitchen, or tools for handyman type jobs at yard sales and thrift stores. She had a great sense of humor, too, and was pretty quick at finding solutions to problems.

So last night when I slid into bed and turned off the light and heard a fly buzzing in the room I was irritated. I was too tired and didn't want to get up to chase it, but it wouldn't stop buzzing and I knew I wouldn't be able to get to sleep.

Then I remembered what mom told me some years ago. I got up, went to the bathroom and turned on the light and waited for the fly to be drawn to the room with the light, then I flipped off the bathroom light and closed the door. The fly was trapped and I slept peacefully.

Thanks Mom!

No comments: