Sunday, August 23, 2009

Schoolin'


I knew before the school year ended that I could not afford to keep Sean in his Montessori school. As much as a I wanted to, and looked over our budget many times to figure out a way, it just wasn't possible.
So we toured a public school that I had visited and written stories about. It was small, very close to the size of his Montessori school, and had a family feel. But it had that public school feel to it.
One example: Rules that didn't make sense to me. This particular school had drumming circle for extra curricular activity, but you couldn't participate until 4th grade. Sean has had a full drum set since he was 4. That rule just ain't right.
He has spent three years in a school that encourages the child to do what they love to do, and enjoy their work. They research what they are most interested in, and have a lot of freedom to choose the materials they want to work with, and activities they want to participate in. It has given Sean a sense of responsibility for his own education, and the confidence to succeed.
I asked myself, "so you take a child who loves music, and I mean loves it, and can mimic the sounds, and hold the beat, and you put him in a room with bongos and drums and then tell him he's too young, can't touch it, can't play, sorry?"
No.
So I decided to research other options. I got online. I found WAVA, a virtual school that is done at home and part of the state public school system. Something about it seemed rigid. It felt like public school, at home. Their idea is x minutes in a chair = x amount of learning.
Well, I don't feel like I learned much sitting in a chair when I was a kid. I think there's a better way.
That's why I put him in Montessori to begin with.
So I figured I'd just put him in the school he is supposed to go to that is within our boundary. I've heard the teachers there are good, experienced, there's an accelerated learning program there, etc.
But I just didn't feel right about it.
I went back to the computer and did more research and found there are people who do Montessori homeschool. I kept looking into it, and decided that was the answer. Montessori homeschool.
I also ran the idea past his father, because though we are no longer married, he is his father and I believe if he wants to participate in the decision he has that right.
He was all for it and offered to split the cost of materials with me.
I found an inexpensive curriculum online through a certified Montessori teacher, and got a book on the subject and I'm assembling the materials. A lot of it is free pdf downloads, and all you need is a printer and some card stock. (They suggest laminating the card stock, but we aren't doing that.)
Sean already knows the routine of how to handle the materials, and how to work independently, so I hope this will be a way to continue his education with the Montessori philosophy and that we will both enjoy it.
We plan to follow the local school year calendar, so we will begin Sept. 2, unless we get the materials I've ordered from ebay and others sooner. Sean is excited to get started. He said today, "we'll start as soon as we get the stuff." He has been involved in the selection. Whenever I find something I wonder about, I ask him if he's seen it before. Usually he says, "Oh yeah! I want one of those."
It took me a while to make a final decision, because I want him to have social time with other children. I prefer a mixed age group, like the Montessori schools, so we are visiting with a family tomorrow for a play date, and I joined a meetup group that will meet the first week of September. There are more than 20 who belong to that meetup group and I'm anxious to exchange ideas and for Sean to meet some new friends.
I'm going to look into joining the YMCA here because they have homeschool P.E. twice a week and it is very popular.
I hope to find others who use Montessori, but so far I've only met some online. Most live pretty far from us.
I'm excited about this new adventure, and so happy that Sean is so excited too.
Sean's best friend's mother is a certified Montessori teacher and she has offered to provide help and advice when I need it. What a blessing!
I have this on my wall and try to read it often, especially on those difficult days when everything seems to be going wrong.

If a child lives with criticism, 


he learns to condemn.


If a child lives with hostility, 


he learns to fight.


If a child lives with ridicule, 


he learns to be shy.


If a child lives with shame, 


he learns to feel guilty.


If a child lives with tolerance,

he learns to be patient.


If a child lives with encouragement,

he learns confidence.

If a child lives with praise, 


he learns to appreciate.


If a child lives with fairness, 


he learns justice.


If a child lives with security, 


he learns to have faith.


If a child lives with approval, 


he learns to like himself.


If a child lives with acceptance and friendship,

he learns to find love in the world.

Amanda Cater




3 comments:

Karen said...

What an adventure--best wishes as you begin this new journey! :o)

The Sunshine Crew said...

Great post! We went through the same sort of thing with ours and are homeschooling. Only wish that you lived closer to us here in Florida, as it would be so nice to get together for playdates and to do some Montessori inspired work, too.
I love that poem too.

Am almost ready to mail you your goodies that you won over at my blog.
Have a good one,
Colleen

Unknown said...

Hello & Congratulations :) Sounds like you are starting an amazing adventure! I will go & look at your new Montessori blog now...