Thursday, June 21, 2012

Exciting venture

I closed the door on my old job. As I worked out my notice Chuck and I talked about the next thing for me. While there are great jobs posted on a regular basis, they all require a long commute. We agreed that was not ideal for me, or for our family.

He said he had been wanting to become a general contractor, and thought maybe we should start a contracting business. He could run a crew and I could do the behind-the-scenes daily tasks for running the business. (He is keeping his regular firefighter job.)

We applied for licenses, and got a bond, and went through the hoops to establish Chuck West Construction and Contracting, LLC.  We are specializing in historic restoration and modern remodeling. We quickly submitted a bid for a dream job right here in our community, and we got the bid! That meant we had to hurry and hire a crew, and set up our office and get rolling. Our crew has been working hard to restore the historic Glen Cove Hotel that burned. Soon after we landed a small job at a YMCA facility.

Though running a business is something I've done before, I haven't done all of the paperwork myself. There is a bit of a learning curve for me.

It's an exciting adventure for us.  So far I am loving it, but it is a drastic change. I find myself a little stressed out sometimes. So much to learn, and so quickly. So much to do, and juggle. We have to keep a very detailed calendar so I know where everyone is going to be each day, including myself!

Our summer is scheduled out to the end of August, but we will find time to do some fun things, too.

Happy Summer!

No comments: