Monday, October 31, 2011

Terry's Potato Chips

When I was very small, probably a year old or 2, we lived next door to a potato chip delivery guy.
It will sound kind of crazy, I know, but I actually do remember some things about that. I remember a truck, a driveway, and really nice people.
And I remember these buckets.
Terry knew about makin' potato chips.

Party time with the "Party-Pak".
I remember seeing the yellow of the bucket and in my baby mind I was very fond of it.
The bucket was made of heavy card stock-like paper, and it probably had some kind of waxy layer on it to prevent the oil from ruining the bucket. It had a metal ring around the top, which kept the round bucket shape, and I know it had a lid, but I don't remember what it looked like. I want to say it had two  thumb notches and it was made of the same cardboard-ish type material.

My mom always raved about how good these chips were because we got them when they were so fresh. We moved to our home when I was 2, so we no longer had those fresh buckets of chips. But for years we ate Terry's potato chips. Probably until we moved out of the area.  And that yellow bucket, which was saved from one of those gifts from our neighbor, was used as a yarn basket for just as many years.

During my recent move I came across the bucket in my mom's stuff. It was creased and crunched. The  metal ring around the top was bent and no matter what I did I couldn't reshape it. The inside was full of yarn scraps and an old rusty looking hoop for embroidering. This thing had moved from Tenn. to Washington, and at least five times once it got here. No wonder there were so many creases and crunches in that thing.

I wasn't sure I could part with it, but we are bursting at the seams. I decided to take a picture of it and hold the memory that way. I gave it to Chuck to throw away the other day. Part of me regrets it, but it really had to go.

15 comments:

.Net Plowboy said...

This is a very touching story and brought tears to my eyes. My dad, I called him pop, worked at Terry's as a teen and my grandfather also worked there. My great uncle owned Terry's. The business has long since been gone from the family, and pop passed away a few years ago, but anytime I hear stories about Terry's it brings back lots of emotions for me. Thanks again.

Marsha said...

Thank you for reading my blog and posting a comment. What a wonderful family you must have. Sorry for the loss of you pop. I'm glad my story touched you in such a special way, and I'm sorry for not seeing this sooner and posting a reply.

Unknown said...

I wish I had known you were going to throw it away. My great-grandfather started Terry's Potato Chips. My mother was the last owner of Terry's.

Thanks, Terry Stevens Henner

Marsha said...

Terry Henner, Turns out my husband couldn't part with it. He loves anything old, and he has it in his shop. I found it not long after I wrote this post, and smiled to myself.

ksascubadiver said...

Terry was your mother Connie? If so she is a cousin of mine on my mother's side Blair. I loved coming to Bristol just to get some chips from Piggly Wiggly.

Unknown said...

My mom Colleen Terry Maples was the daughter of Paul and Myrtle Terry who started Terry 's. The company was sold to my Uncle Peyton Terry after Paul's death. I too have great memories


Unknown said...

That's the first time I ever saw a Brand with the preservative spelled out all the way( Bht)etc, sounds scary by today's standard, today they nitrogen flush to keep fresh in the bag,that's not air your buying🙂

Anonymous said...

Myrtle Terry was my great grandmother, her daughter was Edith Blair, I remember your mom, and uncle peyton.

Unknown said...

I remember Aunt Myrtle and Uncle Payton. When my mother Shirley Blair would bring us to Grandma Edith's I always got to go to the factory and watch them make the chips.

Anonymous said...

Wow! So cool to see all of the Terry family comments. My mom used to talk about her Uncle Payton, Aunt Myrtle, Aunt Edith. My grandfather was Bevins "Bud" Terry, who was initially involved with the factory (I was always told that he was one of the brothers who started it) but then moved to St. Louis. I was only able to visit the factory once as a little girl while it was still in the family. We stayed with Aunt 'Teetle' and Uncle Bud..... I believe that Shirley was my mom's cousin? Does she have a daughter named Kirby? We spent some time with them as well... this was back in the 70's. Cool Blog! Thanks for writing it!

Anonymous said...

WOW! My name is David Ford... I am a package designer for KVAT Foods or Food City and was the designer who redesigned the Terry's brand to reintroduce back in 2008. I am always interested in the history of our Legacy Branded items that we have brought back to store shelves! Of course Terry's was made at the old Snack Alliance plant which is now Shearer's but still make the Terry's products. We are very proud of our brand and have expanded it into may different areas... including Trail Mix, Gourmet Nuts, Crackers and Beef Jerky to name a few. Come buy any Food City or Super Dollar store and try some of our new products!

Anonymous said...

Why does you plain with ripple chips taste and smell like they have Jalapeno's in it?

Unknown said...

We just moved to union county tn and I love Terry's sweet onion chips but cant find them anywhere how can I buy some and where thanks wendy

Unknown said...

My dad lived in Kingsport, TN. When we cleared out his home, we found a Terry's jar. Does anyone know if it has any worth?

Anonymous said...

Hi Joyce my mother was Linda Jane Terry Ray was her father and Sue her sister. My name Thad Linda’s baby boy.